My client wants the fees on his bill sorted not by date but by the phase of the matter. How can I get Legalmaster to do this?
- You may identify the phases of the matter with Legalmaster's grouping codes. First go to Tables/Groups/Fees and create a grouping code for each of your phases. There are three things to remember while you're doing this.
- The codes you use will ultimately determine the order in which the phases appear on your bill. They will print alphabetically. You may use numbers or letters for these codes; numbers precede letters in the alphabet.
- The description you assign to each group appears immediately above the itemized fees on your statement. So make the text clear to your client.
- Assign each grouping code a statement grouping function of none. This allows your fees to be itemized on your bills; any other setting tells Legalmaster to consolidate them into a single entry.
- Assign every fee transaction for the cases you wish billed by phase the grouping code that corresponds to the phase.
- Create a Table of Statement Characteristics for this matter. On the Transaction Detail tab, sort fees by group.
Click here to see a sample bill of this type.